A few weeks ago I posted a link to the VentureOut Challenge for mobile app entrepreneurs on my twitter stream. According to their website, at stake is $10,000 seed funding; Mentorship with international and regional mobile experts; Dragon's Den exposition in Chisinau, Moldova; and TechCrunch Disrupt Europe Scholarship to Berlin. Today, I was extremely happy to see three Trinidadians among the semi-finalists as follows
- M.A.D.E. [in the Caribbean] by Ade Inniss-King
- T&T Expedition by Dylan Basdeo
- Zaboca by Cara Singh
I reached out to each participant and got a quick response from Zaboca creator via their fb page. They are currently preparing for a soft launch which will take place in a couple of weeks. You can look out for their hard launch soon thereafter when Zaboca will be available in the app stores. It is a platform where professionals can share industry relevant information and opinions relevant to the Caribbean perspective through articles/blogs. Zaboca is also about how and where you lime. You can also rate your favourite hotspots on the platform.
I asked "what motivated you to enter the contest and what you hope to achieve by winning the contest?" and got the following response, "I decided to enter VentureOut because it aims to help startups like Zaboca ICT Enterprises to gain access to initial guidance and other support. Furthermore, it gives us a chance to interact and learn from other innovative businesses regionally and internationally."
Update (20 SEP 2013) : I was able to get email contact with Dylan and here is his response in my summarised format
- T&T Expedition started off as a final year UWI project.
- It's a location based app to help users discover points of interests.
- It includes a live twitter feed.
- The VentureOut challenge is an amazing opportunity.
- It puts T&T on the map while showcasing our talents.
- On a personal level it's a dream come true to enter the global arena.
- It allows me to gain invaluable information and work with extraordinary individuals.
It warms my heart to see these things happening. I hope they reach further in the challenge. I wish success to their mobile apps and beg you to give them our support. I will update this blog post as I get responses from the other semi-finalists and I get to use the apps myself. Please share your comments with us below.