Photo credit : Tracy Hackshaw
CTO is the Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation based in London, England. The mission of CTO is to engender use of ICTs for development. On their website they identify 6 main strategic areas
- Broadband, especially mobile broadband for rural development (including food security).
- Cybersecurity and cybercrime.
- ICTs for people with disabilities.
- Regulatory environments (including convergence and digital broadcasting switchover).
- The use of ICTs in education, with particular reference to skills development and entrepreneurship.
- Youth and ICTs.
I went through their press releases and tried to pick out main points from the forum as follows
- The Commonwealth Cybergovernance Model will help with a more secure and safe cyberspace.
- The model identifies four key principles
- We contribute to a safe and effective global Cyberspace
- Our actions in Cyberspace support broader economic and social development
- We act individually and collectively to tackle cybercrime
- We each exercise our rights and meet our responsibilities in Cyberspace
- The event was attended by 130 participants from 32 countries.
- The ICT Ministers meeting was held on the 2 days before the forum
- Ministers agreed on the importance of the CTO and it's work
- There should be consensus on key global ICT issues
- Ministers agreed to action on the Commonwealth Plan for Broadband Inclusion
- Also importantly is ICTs and disability and ICTs in education
Please share your thoughts with us in the comments below.